Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Miracle water

I was in seventh heaven , naturally so because my patient Ramu had shown remarkable signs of recovery . This 10 years old lad was admitted in the intensive care unit ( ICU ) 3 weeks back in a state of coma. He had high grade fever , seizures , bleeding tendency , jaundice and kidney failure . His father Haridas had brought him with great hopes .
In the first week inspite of our efforts Ramu was deteriorating . Myself and Devyani, my physician colleague were involved in the management of Ramu . As he deteriorated we scanned many books , literature , discussed day and night and went through the internet about the disease and the possible treatment available .
In our ICU , we have a very dedicated staff in-charge , Sister Ammini . She is very strict with the staff nurses , friendly with doctors , sympathetic to the patients and co-operative with the relatives . She is very religious . As I enter the ICU , from her face I can understand the status of my patient . If her face is bright , my patient must be improving ., her dark face indicates that something is grossly wrong with the patient , a bored face indicates that the number of patients in the ICU are less . In short her face is the mirror of ICU . If any patient is critically ill , she is in blue mood.
“ Ai ai yo , I shall pray to Jesus for his recovery “ said sister Ammini .Her face was dark with pain and anguish of the suffering child .
Devyani and me appreciated her feelings .
We have a very dependable friend Jay , I call him as a “ mobile medical dictionary” . He is very intelligent and always helpful . I took his help in patients management . But inspite of all our struggles , patient was not doing well .
We had exhausted almost all available medications of our armamentarium . We were feeling helpless against the hopeless situation . The child had started bleeding in his stomach . Lot many blood transfusions and blood products were transfused .
I felt as if the earth below my feet is giving way . I was depressed . My enthusiasm had disappeared . I was greatly disturbed with the chain of events .It was difficult for me to face child’s father , who was always calm and serene . He had great faith on us , that made me feel more helpless .

God has his own ways to make us feel His existence .As we were fighting against all hopes , the child gradually started improving . His breathing improved . His urination picked up . Jaundice started fading . One fine morning he opened his eyes . A wave of joy spread in our ICU .
“ Ai ai yo , ” giggled sister Ammini , “ See sir , our prayers are answered ”.

Out efforts were fruitful . The child had started taking feeds . Soon he was sitting with support and started communicating . I felt elated . I was in seventh heaven .

Now I could face Haridas , the father of the child , confidently .
“ See , I am glad to tell you that your child Ramu is now out of danger . He will soon be discharged . This all was possible because of the continuous day and night care in this hospital .” I said .
“Yes sir , you all have done very hard work .But ….. er sir , I hid a fact from you sir” said Haridas “ that I have been giving my son miracle water of 300 yrs old village-pond secretly for last so many days . And see the result , my son has recovered . ” said Haridas in full faith .

My heaven crashed .

1 comment:

Satish Chandra Satyarthi said...

हो सकता है कि उस बच्चे के ठीक होने क पीछे "चमत्कारी जल" या सिस्टर की दुआओं का असर हो पर आप डाक्टरों की कड़ी मेहनत को इसका श्रेय मिलना चाहिए. वैसे भी डाक्टरों को भगवान् का एक रूप कहा जाता है.