Friday, September 26, 2008

Aborted Love

I had fallen in love .

She was a beautiful lass in her twenties , fair , charming and always smiling . When she talked , stars glittered and a sweet fragrance spread all around . She had dove like eyes . A sweet smile adored her face . With movements of her head , her earrings would dance . Her wavy hairs played hide and seek game on her innocent face .

I saw her first in a social gathering while celebrating Durga Pooja . I saw her offering prayers to the goddess . With closed eyes and calm face she looked exceptionally beautiful . I thought that I must get acquainted with her . But how to start ? Soon I got an opportunity , she was sitting alone in the pooja pandal . Where the heart loves , there the legs walk .

I approached her and asked , “ Pinki , when did you come here ?”
She said smilingly , “ Since an hour , but by the way , I am not Pinki , but I am Anju . ” Albeit I knew that she is not Pinki but that was my way of finding out her name !
“Oh , Anju , your face looks so familiar , by the way , do you stay in civil lines ? ” I must know where she stays.
“ I stay in Ramdaspeth ” said she and added , “ why don’t you just say that you wished to talk to me ”. We both laughed . We developed a good friendship over a period of time .
Later whenever she met me , my heart would sing a wild song , it would race fast and my face would turn pink .
She took keen interest in whatever I did . She had a good sense of humor .
Once with a trembling heart , I proposed her to accompany me for a movie . To my great delight she agreed instantly .

On the D day , I decided that in order to impress her , I must look smart . I had a clean shave . Looked at the mirror , oh , no , not good enough , I shaved again . I wore nicest dress , looked myself thousands of times in the mirror . Do I look presentable ? Oh, no , my shirt does not go well with my trousers . I changed the shirt , looked at the mirror , oh no , the shirt is definitely sparkling , but the trouser looked a bit dull . Now it was the turn of the trouser to be changed . It went on and on and on . Some time I changed the wrist watch , at times the handkerchief , applied a little powder and thought the next moment that it looks little too much , and washed my face off the powder . My shirt got wet in the process . I had to change the shirt but then the new shirt again did not go well with my trouser !
I had my shoes shined and spent half an hour to give my shoes a shiny look .
At last , I got ready . I sprayed a little perfume and started for theatre hall . Am I too early to reach ? She will presume that I am too eager to meet her . Oh , no , I should be reaching the hall little late . In fact , let her wait for me . Very thought of her waiting for me gave me a sense of déjà vu .

I reached the hall just little ahead of the time . Soon I saw the sweet thing reaching the hall . She wore a light pink attire – the color of romance .
‘Hello’, said she .
‘Hi ’, I replied . ‘ How is life ?’ I asked her with full enthusiasm .
But my enthusiasm dampened a little . She was accompanied by a boy . My heart sank . Who could he be ? Love is blind , friendship closes its eyes .

“ Meet my fiancée , Arun ” she gave a sweet smile and introduced the lad , who I felt was most indecently dressed , his shirt did not match with his trousers , had face full of unkempt beard , wore dirty shoes .

Many are the roads that do not lead to the heart . I felt like having eaten few quinine tablets . My love feelings evaporated in to thin air .

No comments: