Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Bald Truth

I loved my father very much . He was well built , hard worker , had a deep voice and could sing well . He was a poet , used to pen nice Bengali and English poems . Occasionally , during our school days, he would write Hindi poems for us . He was a towering personality . He was tall , handsome and was bald . His bald forehead had added to his personality . During my child hood days , I wished to follow his footsteps . I wanted to be like him .
But as I grew up , as compared to him , I found myself a dwarf in every aspect. I am neither well built , nor a hard worker . I do not posses qualities of poetry writing and can not sing well .However I inherited one thing from him -- baldness . As I reached thirty plus , I found my lovely dense hairs getting sparse and gradually my beautiful hairs bid me good bye .

There was an intense struggle on my part to hide this baldness. I started spending more time in combing and bring the remaining hairs on the bald portion . But the mirror always spoke the truth .
Gradually I started accepting the truth of life - yes I am bald .

There are many benefits of being bald . I do not have to spend on hair oil which is a costly commodity . I save a lot on shampoo , hair creams , herbal products etc. As I have very few hairs left on my head , I do not have to colour my hairs black like my other colleagues do.

If we see the history of the world , most of the great men were bald . Father of the nation , our beloved mahatma Gandhi was bald . Every one knows his contribution in freedom struggle . At that time did any one say , see mahatma , you are bald ! In fact people fell at his feet , feet of a great man , who we all must realize , was bald .

The architect of modern India is Jawaharlal Nehru . He was intelligent , far sighted and honest to the core . He decided the destiny of the country and off course - he too was bald .

Netaji Subhash , a brave leader , who was president of Indian National Congress , who fooled the English men following his house arrest , whom even Hitler respected for his courage , too was bald .

Music maestro S.D.Burman, Naushad , Roshan, directors Hrishikesh Mukherjee , Yash Chopra , Mahesh Bhatt are all bald. Who can forget versatile Rafi, Talat , Manna and Mukesh who ruled over the hearts of many , they were great and off course bald .

Intelligence and baldness go hand in hand . Almost all noble laureates have receding hair line .

Baldness is a sign of prosperity . Most of the multibillionaires are bald . They have palatial houses , big business empires and fleet of four wheelers . Presently I am also thinking of purchasing a second hand bicycle !

It is a known fact that the cause of baldness is male hormone . Those who are more sexy , are bald . As I remember my bachelorhood days , a gush of adrenalin flows in to my veins , my heart gallops fast like a wild horse and ear-pinnas become warm . At this point I must not reveal stories of my good old golden days lest this article be read by my beloved wife !

Unlike general perception , baldy men are cool headed . Shiny bald head reflects light and keeps the head cool . While a head full of black hairs absorbs light & heat and tends to be hot . Besides this , bald head is in direct contact with environment and hence better ventilated . During rains , a person with head full of hairs is likely to retain moisture and catch cold but a baldy will not .

When there are so many advantages of being bald , I really feel proud to be an egg headed and do not feel necessity of hiding my prestigious baldness with a wig . Nor do I feel an urge to grow vegetations on my unfertile head with chemical or bio-fertilisers . Afterall , baldness is a divine gift , very few fortunate ones get this boon .

As I was writing this article , my nephew Satyajeet entered my home , he is a young man with dense hairs on his head . As it was friendship day , he was planning to meet his friends . He had parted his hairs like John Abraham , today’s matinee idol and has even colored his hairs bronze in the middle . I looked at him wistfully and sighed , alas , if I could move the hands of the clock anticlockwise !!

Shibu 18.8.05

No comments: